There are many factors that can alter the condition of your jewelry. Here are some tips on how to keep your beloved pieces as pristine as the day it was made:
- Standard rule of thumb: Always put your jewellery on last when getting dressed. Perfume, hairspray, deodorant, lotion and other standard beauty supplies can cause discoloration and jewellery tarnishing.
- When your silver jewellery becomes tarnished, remove the oxidation with a silver polishing or anti-tarnish cloth.
- Before you start cleaning, it is important for you to know the structure of your gemstone. Although most gems will respond well to a gentle clean with mild soap, warm water and a soft brush, all gems have their own unique sensitivities. Always check if special care is needed prior to cleaning to prevent irreversible reactions.
- We believe that jewelry is meant to be worn and not locked in a safe. However, keep in mind that scratches and dents can happen even if you are being careful. Although some gemstones are more ‘scratch-proof’ than others, do not assume a gemstone’s resistance to a type of exposure because all gemstones have different durability and hardness ratings. Always refer to the gem’s Mohs rating to determine its durability.
Paper Gem Care
- Paper Gems are water-tight, encased and protected inside acrylic.
- Acrylic is durable and long-lasting with minimal care. To clean your Paper Gems and keep it looking new, simply wipe with a microfiber cloth or clothes for cleaning your glasses/sunglasses.
- If you accidentally cause scratches on the surface of your Paper Gem, apply a small amount of Novus Cleaner to a microfiber cloth and wipe the surface of your Paper Gem until scratches are removed.
- Novus Plastic Cleaner is available worldwide, including Amazon, most hardware and art supply stores.
- "Novus 1" is an anti-static formula which helps remove dirt and dust stuck on the surface of acrylic. "Novus 2" is formulated to remove light scratches and cleans the surface of acrylic. "Novus 3" is for deeper scratches and requires Novus 2 to be applied as the final step. For more information about Novus products, visit their website here.
- Never use chemicals or solvents (ie Windex or glass cleaners) on acrylic.